Tuesday, October 13, 2009

F.O.C.U. Tip #1

KEEP YOUR CRACKER OUT OF THE CHEESE.
This is not an innuendo, I'm talking about accidental contamination and it is the easiest gluten no-no to make. Hanging out with a Celiac is like...I don't know...some sports analogy about needing to be alert all the time.

I still have close calls. I almost dipped a wheat cracker in a designated gluten-free cheese plate this past Sunday. And a few weeks ago Amy's husband, Mike, caught me tossing sliced cheese that had touched crackers into a ziplock with non-crackery cheese, and then putting it in their fridge. That is bad.

similar and equally dangerous scenarios:
- keep your pita out of the hummus
- keep your baguette out of the baked brie
- keep your pretzel out of the mustard
- do not put your gluteny-toast-crumby knife back in the butter/spread


2 comments:

  1. The butter knife one is the trickiest. I feel like a surgeon with how many times I have to change utensils. The same can be said for peanut butter, jelly, sour cream, cream cheese, and anything else that you would spread with a knife or scoop with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete